Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Clicks or Groups

How many of us have ever belonged to a 'click or a special group?' When I was going to school we always called them 'click' but then I got to thinking maybe that isn't what they are called now. If we are truthful, I believe all of us will have to say at one time or another we have. I believe it is hard for some of us to admit to this. How many of us are still involved in a 'click'? There are probably more of us than not that don't want to admit this to anyone.

I wonder why we have these clicks. Is it because we feel more secure, is it because we know where we stand, do we know these people are our friends, is it because we know they are behind us no matter what, are we are afraid we won't be accepted by anyone else or does it seem this person is not to well dressed, perhaps they don't seem to be outstanding, they don't have a lot of money,? I am sure there are many more reasons but these are the ones I can think of right now.

We have these clicks in our schools, neighborhoods, work place, and yes, we even have them in our churches. Looking around we can see them everywhere. Some of us will say, I have my friends but I am not in a click and some of you aren't but what about the ones that are?

Are you willing to step away from your friends just to make someone feel they are welcome to the neighborhood, work place, or church or do you need someone to go with you? Are you able to step away from your friends to chat with someone, I mean to really chat with them. Asking them some questions about their lives and telling them you are glad to have them around. Are you able to make them feel welcome? Stop to look back at who you have been talking to. Is it the same people all of the time? Yes, it is easier to chat with someone you know, after all you know everything about them and they know everything about you. What about that person standing or setting alone?

That person standing alone may be waiting for someone to come along and greet them. Yes, they could step out but perhaps this is someone new in the school and they have no idea what the kids and teaches are like (are they friendly or what), or this new person in the neighborhood, they have no idea what goes on in the neighborhood. Maybe someone has just started working at this new job, they have no idea who is friendly and nice. It may be the first time this person has been in your church, it may really be hard for them to start talking to someone they don't know and they don't want to bother them as they are talking with a group of people.

We need to take a look at what James has said about this. James 2:1-4; "My Brethren, have we not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. v.2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; v.3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: v.4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?"

From those verses we can learn a lot. It tells us that if we pay special attention or favoritism toward a person that seems to be more wealthy, in a better position, or better clothing, this is wrong. It displeases God, we know God looks on the inside or the heart and not the outward appearance. When we do this it shows that we are not motivated by genuine love for everyone. We are not honoring the Lord with glory and are not accepting them on the basis of their faith in Jesus, it shows that we are showing favoritism to the wealthy or influential in the world. We can learn from the above verses also that God wants us to treat everyone equal and to be nice to everyone. When we do this and especially if we are Christians it can and does show glory to the Lord as He wants us to love everyone not just the ones that we know.  If we don't do this it take the glory away from Him.  Which do you want to do?  I want the glory to shine on the Lord.

I am one of those people that can talk a person's leg off of them, over the phone but I get so tongue-tied when in person it is hard for me to talk them. Well, just before Christmas I decided that I was going to talk to this woman at church so I went over and started up a conversation with her. I found out that she is wonderful person and loves to talk. I am so glad I finally went over to her and talked to her. Another little secret, the Holy Spirit is the one that got me to go over to her, I couldn't have done it without the Holy Spirit and I thank Him for doing this for me. If I would go to someone new every week I could meet at least 52 more people in just a year.

Maybe if all of us would just go talk to one person that we haven't talked to or very seldom talk, we might just meet a person that was in need or that will become a great friend. Why don't we try this for awhile and if you would want to you can report back and let me know how you did and I will do the same.

Thank you very much for stopping by and may you know the peace of the Lord. Blessings!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Amazing post! I really 'hate' cliques! That being said, I guess you could call any group a clique if it appears to be 'exclusive.' I agree that if we would all make it a point to talk to someone that we haven't talked to before or very often, we might just make a lifelong friend. I'll put on my big girl panties and try. It really takes me out of my comfort zone. Perhaps that is what God wants...for us to be outside of our comfort zone. Thank you for this amazing, dare I say, challenge.

Jenifer Metzger said...

I am at a conflict with this. While I dislike cliques, I am so shy that I tend to always stay close to my family and close friends. This is something God is working on in me. I am trying to learn to get out of my comfort zone and speak to others. Thank you for this post.