Friday, February 18, 2011

Living Water

I hear people talking about different Scriptures and I think, why don't I know about that? I think I do know about some of them but perhaps when it is being talked about the person says it in a different way and I don't recognize it. Then there are the times I will read a certain Scripture and I don't understand it so I reread and reread it and yet I still don't understand it. Then at a later date I can read it and I will really get excited as the Lord has given me the understanding of it.


It was many years ago when this happened when I read John 4:14; "But whosoever drinketh of the water I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."
I just couldn't get it through my head what it meant but like I said, the Lord finally give me understanding of the verse. I was really excited as I knew it was the Lord that had given me the understanding of it because I had so much trouble with it in the beginning.

The water Jesus was talking about means spiritual life. Why couldn't I get this through my head? I really don't know as it seems so clear to me now.

To drink of this water means we have to drink of it continually. Drinking of the water of life means we have to have a regular communion with Jesus Christ as He is the source of this living water. If the relationship with Jesus is severed we will not be able to drink of this water. Jesus is the one that nourishes our spiritual life. If we break away from Jesus, He will not nourish our spiritual life. The more time we spent with Him the more we know about Him and the relationship continues to grow and flourish.

The rivers of living water theory teaches us when the gift of the Spirit is given to believers, he will experience His overflowing life. Having this river of living water will flow out to others with the message of Jesus Christ.

God never wants us 'not to know' but I feel at times He will not allow us to understand a Scripture so we will read and reread and want to study His Word. When we really pray, read, and dig into His Word we find out so much about Him and also how to live our lives.

John 15:12; "This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you." If we love one another we know we have Jesus in us. Love helps us do so many things, it gives us compassion, understanding and gentleness as we deal with people. We should never be unkind to people and we should have understanding of their feelings.

Jesus gave us living water and now it is our turn to share it with others.

Thank you for stopping by and may you know the peace of the Lord. Blessings!

2 comments:

Debi said...

I love how God reveals things to us in HIS time. When will we ever get it through our heads that He has a purpose and a plan for us...and part of that plan my be that we don't understand a specific scripture at a certain time, but that we will when we need it the most? Thank you for this amazing post.

Oh, and by the way, I LOVE the picture you inserted!

Jenifer Metzger said...

Great post. God's love is so amazing. Yes, we need to continually drink of His living water. Thank you for this.