Thursday, January 13, 2011

Closeness

We all want to be closer to the Lord than what we are right now but we cannot expect this to happen if we just set around and wait for it to happen. We have to make a special effort to be closer to Him.


John 16:7-8; "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you. v. 8 And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:" It is the Holy Spirit that guides us and reveals the truth and righteousness that belongs to Christ. It is the Holy Spirit that works in us to duplicate Christ's holy life in our life.

It is through the Holy Spirit that we are able to do this. The Holy Spirit is not just directed toward the unsaved but He also works in the lives of the believers and also the church in order to instruct, correct, teach, and guide them.

The Spirit reveals to the believer that which is from Christ. The Spirit makes the personal presence of Jesus, love, forgiveness, redemption, sanctification, life, power, spiritual gifts, healings, all that belong to us through our faith relationship with Jesus, and makes it real in our lives. It is through the Spirit that the Lord's love, grace, and personal fellowship is disclosed to us. The Holy Spirit works within us to awaken and deepen our awareness of Christ's presence in our lives. He will draw our hearts toward Jesus in faith, love, obedience, worship, praise, and communion. It is the Holy Spirit that will cause our hearts to seek the Lord in love, devotion, worship, and prayer.

We need to listen to the Holy Spirit in our everyday life, our prayers, our words, and our actions. We need to pray and ask for the closeness of the Lord, we can't just wait to see if the closeness comes to us without any effort. The Lord wants to be as close to us as what we want to be to Him. It is our sins, doubt, unbelief, anger, and pride that will keep us from having the closeness we so desire to have with Him. It is never the Lord that leaves us but us leaving Him. Hebrews 13:5;"...I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

If you are really sincere about wanting to be closer to the Lord why not start today?

Blessings!!

5 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

Great post! I want to be closer to Christ and I will start today!

Debi said...

It's been said, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." We all procrastinate on one thing or another. Let's not 'procrastinate' so much that we lose our opportunity to enjoy our life WITH God! I, too, am starting TODAY!

Unknown said...

I want to be closer to God today than I was yesterday and be even closer still tomorrow. I am pressing in to Him!

Kelli said...

You are so right! We can't just sit around hoping to be closer with out Jesus. We have to be intentional. We have to be in hot pursuit of the One who first pursued us. Once we get up every morning, read our Bible, spend time with Him...it becomes such a delight instead of a duty. Then we want to know more and become more... more like Jesus! Love you blog!

Dakota said...

Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing, and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well: www.nocondemnation81.blogspot.com

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota