Monday, November 29, 2010

Taming Our Tongue

How many times have we gotten angry and then allowed ourselves to say things that should never have been said. I believe everyone of us have done this at one time or another. I know I am guilty of this. It was not to long ago that I made a remark and the minute it came out of my mouth I thought "why in the world did I ever say such a thing?" The Holy Spirit made me aware of this immediately. Once it is said there is no taking it back, yes, we can tell the person how sorry we are but it has been said and it probably hurt the person deeply.

The Word of God tells us in James 1:20, "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath." Satan will and does everything possible to keep us from living a life God wants us to. I believe Satan causes our anger to grow, he will do anything to keep us from living a life God would have us to live. Anger can and will make us say and do things we would normally not do.

James goes on to tell us in chapter 3 verses 5-6, "Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell."

When speaking harsh, unkind, gossiping, slanderous, or boasting words this is sinning. We need to learn to keep our tongue under control. The Holy Spirit will guide us and will bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ, if we will just listen.

There is a righteous anger. Matthew 21:12-13 speaks of this. Jesus went into the temple and cast out all that sold and bought and then overthrew the tables the moneychangers were using. When we get angry because of something someone says or does to the Lord this is a righteous anger.

Saying sweet words is better to speak than the words of anger. Sometimes this will take a lot of work and prayer but it certainly is worth the effort. We need to turn away from evil in both words and deeds. If we are saying unkind words how can we say nice things? Evil and righteousness can not be said at the same time. Wouldn't you rather hear the sweet and righteous words than evil and hurtful words? It only takes a minute to think of words that will not hurt someone. I for one would rather say something nice than hurtful or unkind. What about you?

2 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

Very good! Just as light and dark cannot dwell in the same place, harsh words and sweet words cannot come out of the same mouth. Our words must be uplifting and encouraging. This is something I need to work on.

Mandy said...

Very good post, I am working on this as well. All too often I let my tounge run away from me. Thank you for this!