Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Friends

We all love to have friends, right? To have a friend is to be one I have been told. Some like to have lots of friends while others are content with just a few.


Are we sure of our friends? Are they godly, are they stuck on themselves, are they ready to help you when you need them? So many questions to ask ourselves. We certainly need to know what kind of a friend we have.

James 4:4; 'Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.' Is this person a friend of the world? If so, this person is an enemy of God for friendship of the world is spiritual adultery . We may think this person would never turn us away from God but God does warn us of this.

I Corinthians 15:33; 'Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.' We can be misled by friends that do not know God and His righteousness and they may tell us everything is okay when it is not. We have to be careful, the Holy Spirit will guide us.

It is great to tell them about the Lord and all of the benefits from knowing Him and accepting Him into their lives but if they laugh at you or make fun of the Lord, it is time to walk away. It is better to leave them than to lose Jesus. We must never give up praying for them or for others unless for some reason the Holy Spirit would happen to tells us to.

I have had a friend since my high school years. She is the sweetest and dearest person. If I ever needed her all I would have to do is call her. She may not be able to come to me at that very minute as she lives in another city but I know she would comfort me over the phone and via email. I have all the confidence that she would come to help me as soon as she could, she is that type of a friend. Proverbs 27:6; 'Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.' She would tell me if I were wrong even though she knew it would hurt me but she also knows in the long run it would benefit me. I can always count on her. She is very special to me and always has been.

I have an other friend that I can count on, my husband. I know he would always tell me what I need to know even though it would hurt but he would be there to comfort me. My daughter is another friend that would help me in anyway she could as it seems she is always helping me out in one way or another. I have a granddaughter that I call on quite often and no matter what she is doing she has time for me, but if for some reason she can't talk she calls me back. My list could go on and on, forever and ever.

Even though I have all these friends and I hold them dear to my heart, I have this really special friend, His name is Jesus. I love that song "Oh, What A Friend I Have In Jesus." I know Jesus will be by my side at all times, He will guide me through anything I go through, no matter what, He will love me. Proverbs 17:17; ' A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.'

I wish everyone knew my friend, Jesus.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I love this, a few months back I had to sever ties with a few "friends" they just were not the Godly women I thought they were once my perspectives changed...now I have some AMAZING Godly women in my life that I couldn't be more blessed to know. You're right Jesus is our best friend, I wish everyone knew my friend Jesus too. Thank you for this post!!

Jenifer Metzger said...

My BEST friend is Jesus! For many years, other than Jesus, my closest friends were my family. I have a great family who I can always count on. Over the past couple of years God has given me a couple of amazing women who have also became my best friends. I know these women, like my family, are there for me. They encourage me and pray for me constantly. I praise God for my family and friends. Thank you for posting this.

Unknown said...

I love that song too - What a Friend We Have in Jesus. Our friends may fail us from time to time, but Jesus never will! I'm so thankful for the wonderful friends He has placed in my life, but most of all, I'm thankful for His amazing friendship!