Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Seedling

We have a Maple tree in our yard so in the spring we have a lot of seeds from this one tree. This summer there were several of the seeds that started growing into trees. There were two that I kept my eye on, I don't know why as they weren't any different than any of the other ones except they were in my eyesight and very close to the house.


I am not a gardener but I do love beautiful flowers, plush green lawns (which I don't have), and beautiful trees. I would even water these two trees when we hadn't had any rain for awhile. Well, it started getting cold and then it got colder, I finally decided I needed to cover them with some leaves to keep them warm. One seedling died but I still have the other one left. One night I covered the tiny tree with leaves and went into the house not giving it another thought. Later that night I went out and the leaves were no longer on the tree so I covered the tree up again. Later when I went out to feed my cat I noticed the leaves were off of the tree again. I was getting upset by this time. Then there was a gentle breeze (was God trying to get my attention) and I saw the leaves being blown further away from this seedling. Well, this tiny tree is still there and I do hope it survives through the winter but if it doesn't I know God has a reason why it didn't.

I thought I was doing something good for the tree, after all I was shielding it from the cold wind and keeping it warm. Then I started thinking, how many times have we thought we have known best in a situation so we didn't think to ask God about it and to ask for guidance? This is what I was doing for this tiny tree but now I can see that perhaps I could be harming it. I looked at the trees around and they had all grown from seeds and they survived.

Well, we may survive a situation that has come up but because we didn't ask the Lord for guidance in the situation maybe we suffered needlessly or perhaps we missed out on a blessing God had planned for us. God knows best. He sees the whole picture where we only see what is in front of us but one day we will see more, I Corinthians 13:12; 'For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.' One day things to be known will be open to our eyes and knowledge will be free from darkness and inaccuracy. We will see God face to face and we will know Him as we are known by Him. This will be an awesome time.

I was looking at what could be seen instead of looking at the things that are not seen. I was looking at the tiny tree thinking all the time I could protect if from what I thought might kill it but I should have looked to God for His protection of the tree. We do this with our lives. God is our protector. God is concerned about us and wants us to give our cares to Him. I Peter 5:8; 'Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.'

When will we learn our Father will take care of us in all situations if we just let Him? I am working on this with things that happen in my life, most of the time I know He will take care of me no matter what but ever so often the doubt arises and that is when I need to get down on my knees and talk to the Lord, He will help me through it. I want to say "Thank you, God for your love, kindness, mercy, understanding, and your forgiveness in my short comings and I love You with all of my heart."


2 comments:

Jenifer Metzger said...

Great post! God knows far better than we do. Afterall, He created everything. He can see what we can't. We have to learn to put our faith completely in Him. Thank you!

Unknown said...

When I was reading about you "helping" the tree, I was thinking about all the times we try to "help" God. He knows best and He doesn't need our help. We need to seek His will, then trust that His way is best.
Thanks for this great post!