Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Friend

I wanted to talk to you about friends. All of us want friends. Some have more than others. There are some people that prefer only a few friends. A friend means different things to each person. They say to have a friend you need to be one.


To me, a friend is someone that is there for me when I need them. I can tell them anything and know it won't go any further. They will listen to me and although they don't agree with me, they listen. They give me advice when I ask for it and sometimes when they feel I need advice. They may have to tell me something I don't want to hear but they tell me because they are my friend and they feel it is better for me to know.

I have a special friend in my husband, Dave. I know he is there for me when I need him. I know I can talk to him and confide in him and it will not go any further. He gives me advice when I ask him and sometimes he feels I need advice even though I don't want to hear it. If I am hurting he will put his arms around me and tell me everything will be fine. What would I do without him?

I have a friend in my daughter, Debi. She is always willing to listen to me, tell me what she thinks I need to hear. She is already to help me when I call on her. She is forever working on our computers for us. Before she got laryngitis she knew I would be calling her every Sunday night to ask her something about the Bible. She is a different kind of friend and I don't know what I would do if I didn't have her. Everyone needs a daughter just like her.

My sister, Barb listens to me whenever I need to talk to her. She listens and even though she doesn't agree with me she doesn't condemn me for how I feel. I am glad I have her. She lives in northern Iowa so I don't get to talk to her or see her as much as I would like but when I need her she is there to listen, all I have to do is call her. She is special to me.

Then I have my friend, Pat. I have known her since my high school years. She lives in another town so I don't get to see her as often as I would like but we get together when we can and email each other. She listens to me continually. She is never soft with me, she tells me what I should know. She is kind when she tells me these things, she helps keep me in line. Thank you Pat, I need this kind of friendship.

I have a son, Ken, that I can talk to also. He is not well so I usually don't bother him but if I need him he is right here. He will listen to me and talk to me anytime I call him.

I have another Friend that I could never do without and I never want to be without Him. His name is Jesus. I have known of Him for a really long time, since my childhood but I have had a relationship with Him for many, many years now. Just knowing about Him is not the same as knowing and having a relationship with Him.

Proverbs 17:17; A friend loveth at all times...". A friend loves us all the time, he doesn't stop loving us if he gets upset with us or if we aren't with him all the time. We can't see Jesus but we know He is with us. If we are really quiet and seek His nearness we can feel that friendship He offers to us.

John 15:13; "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends". Jesus laid down His life for me and for you. He showed us how much of a friend He truly is.

We should always seek to know the ways of God. We do this by praying, reading and studying His Word. We grow into such a deep coming together with Him and His purposes that we will be a friend of God's. This friend will never leave us, if we feel alone it is because we have left our Friend, Jesus. May you always remember Jesus is with you.

Thanks for dropping by, I have enjoyed our visit. May you always know the love, joy, and peace, of the Lord.

3 comments:

Debi said...

Jesus is our Friend that sticks closer to us than a brother! I am so glad that I can call Him my 'friend.' I am also thankful for my mama...she is a dear, dear friend whom I love with all my heart! :o)

Jenifer Metzger said...

For so long, I didn't think I needed a friend. I had a good friend as a kid, but we grew apart. Then I had a friend who hurt me deeply. I was done with it. I just needed my husband and my family (who I do consider my very good friends). But in the past two or so years, I have realized I do need friends. It is nice to have people that are praying for you, encourage you, listen and offer advice when you need it. I have been very blessed with a great family and good friends.

Lisa said...

I'm so thankful for the friends that God has given me. I'm also thankful that I can call Him my best friend.